Saturday, January 14, 2017

7. backstory: my ever after high collection


Today's post: my Ever After High collection!




Starting at the end of summer, my anxiety took a turn for the worst. Since I generally make physical symptoms stop for a while by making myself think about something else instead, I sought out new distractions. Ever After High dolls had recently appeared on my radar, so I decided I would watch the web series before I let myself buy any.

This was something of a mistake, since I quickly became attached to many of the characters. The show has a lot of elements I really love: so many varied, great female characters and friendships; truly awful puns; beautiful animation; and, of course, the continually emphasized importance of things like loyalty, friendship, bravery, being true to yourself, and always wearing the right outfit for any occasion. (Given that Sailor Moon was one of my formative influences as a kid, I especially appreciate the clothing transformation sequences.) 




Since my budget definitely doesn't allow for me to buy all the dolls at retail prices, it occurred to me that I could buy them secondhand and restore them. My roommate and I went to the local Goodwill for the first time in November, shortly after we moved here. I went to the toy aisle and found two of my favorite characters in the entire series being sold together: Kitty and Apple!




Apple is, admittedly, the doll that needs the most work out of everyone. I am looking for a new body for her, since it's going to be borderline impossible to replace her hands. I also plan to buy her an actual official Mattel outfit at some point, and to finish the dress I half made for her that she's been wearing for the last few months.


One thing that really bothered me about Kitty was that this particular version of her didn't have pigtails. I've always thought that they were such a key part of her look that seeing a doll of her without them was very strange to me! My roommate helped me curl her hair, and it turned out quite well. At this point I just want to get her a pair of hands and then I'll consider her all set.

(Kitty also just might be my favorite out of everyone. I'd be hard pressed to choose between her and Apple, honestly.)



Apple & Kitty were my only ones for a few weeks... until the population took a surprising turn.

I had seen Cerise at the local Value Village, but didn't buy her the day I found her. However, I couldn't get her out of my mind, so I went back for her a few weeks later. I made an impulsive stop by Goodwill first and stumbled across Ashlynn and Maddy. I hadn't thought about adding either of them to my collection before that, but as soon as I saw Ashlynn's face I just felt like she was meant to be mine.





Ashlynn needs something more to wear than a swimsuit, but otherwise she is set, especially since I recently found some shoes for her to wear.



Cerise is the only one of them that I consider to be completely settled. I purchased her outfit from eBay right when I got her, along with the rest of Kitty's outfit and an outfit for Lizzie. She was in such nice condition when I got her that all I had to do was clean her and wash her hair. All she really needed besides that was something to wear.





In December I purchased a few Ever After High outfits from an eBay vendor who was also reselling dolls, including a Lizzie who caught my eye. Since Lizzie is one of my absolute favorite characters in the series, I went ahead and added her to my purchase. 

Unfortunately Lizzie and Maddy both have glue in their hair, so I am going to attempt a tea tree oil treatment on both of them soon. But Lizzie's hair is otherwise tame enough that I was still able to get some good pictures of her.





The display dolls, as they currently stand! I'm hoping to get Maddy and Lizzie ready to join them before the end of the month. 

What about you? Do you have any Ever After High dolls? Do you buy and restore dolls?

No comments:

Post a Comment