Tuesday, January 3, 2017

4. sewing in 2016


                                     

I spent years saying that I wanted to learn how to sew, but never got around to it. I took a few seminars as a child, and home ec in middle school, but had not really sewn anything since then. After I moved to the Northwest, my roommate, restringingorder , was kind enough to allow me to use her sewing machine and teach me some things. Thanks to her help, her mother's stash of fabrics, and living close to a Jo Ann Fabric store, I have gone from wishing to one day sew to having a handful of projects under my belt, including several for dolls!



                                     
To no one's surprise, Youngji got most of my attention. Part of my characterization for her is that she is a big fan of a K-pop group, GOT7 (more about that in a future entry). I found a fabric quarter at Michael's that almost perfectly matched the print of a shirt that her favorite member wore, and couldn't resist making Youngji her own version of it. A few weeks later I also made her pajamas out of two different Jo Ann fabrics: a stretchy polyester knit remnant for the shirt (miserable to work with, but I really like how comfortable and oversized it looks) and colorful animal print felt for the pants. Both shirts were made with Liberty Jane's free T-shirt pattern, and the pants were made with a Simplicity pattern. 




My roommate and I are also working on setting up a dollhouse for the dolls in our collections! She had already bought the IKEA doll bed and repainted it, so I made Youngji a quilt, pillows (not pictured), and a couple of little throw pillows out of scrap fabric from my roommate's mom's stash. I like how the appliqué on the pink pillow turned out, although I wish it hadn't taken quite so long. That's being a beginner for you, though. 




I also hand-sewed Apple a dress adapted from this free printable dress, although as you can see there is still so much work left to do on it. I just haven't gotten back around to it yet. But it's on the list, never fear!

Speaking of, I do have a 2017 project list. A long, long 2017 project list. But more about that tomorrow...

Do any of you sew for your dolls? Do you make other crafts? Do you have recommendations for good patterns or tutorials? Let's discuss!

2 comments:

  1. I had just recently started sewing for my dolls as well, my Grandma had given me her backup machine that is having some issues so instead of giving up I've been hand sewing garments and our printer was getting fixed so I started making my own pattern based off another simple American girl T-shirt and from that one pattern I am so amazed of how I can alter it, I can take off the sleeves extend the sleeves shorten the top to be cropped or change the neckline or even extend the shirt straight to make a trendy t-shirt dress or even add a shirt to make a skater dress, yesterday I spent the day copying a cropped strappy top I saw a celebrity wearing as I wanted to see if I could achieve and I did! I am so happy hand sewing and although it takes way more time I'm happy to improve that skill before I get the machine fixed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's excellent!! I need to try my hand at things like that, too.

      Delete