Saturday, March 11, 2017

13. display and photo story: winifred's bedroom, march 2017 | winifred's birthday, 2017


(The PJs Bree is wearing are available from HilltopRoseCC!)

Last autumn my roommate and I split the cost of a PAX wardrobe from IKEA to use as a dollhouse! We split it into three rooms: each of us use one as a bedroom, switching out whose room it is every month, and the third serves as a common room. 

Neither of us have done too much with it most of the time, since we've both been really busy. But Winifred's birthday was on March 4, and I wanted to do a little photos series on Instagram, so I decided I needed to set up her room reasonably well...

(Bedroom tour + birthday pictures under the cut!)




I found the fabric for her bedcover from a small sewing store in Washington, and the constellation fabric from Jo-Ann. The "rabbit on the moon" is a Japanese legend referenced in Sailor Moon (the titular heroine's name translates onto "rabbit of the moon") and it subsequently always gives me a Magical Girl feeling. Since Winifred is my little witch, it felt fitting for her. I had originally planned for the constellation fabric to serve as her entire bed covering, but I was glad when I ran across the rabbit fabric instead, because the constellation print is beautiful but it feels a little too mature for a ten-year-old.




(The gift bag was part of a set of tiny Christmas gift bags from IKEA)

I had several decorations and displays set up around the bedroom, but had been hoarding a few more trinkets for Winifred, so before I could set up the room I took some birthday pictures! I've always thought it's fun to see blogs like Super Inky! post about their doll birthdays, and wanted to set up a little something, too.

Youngji claimed best friend privilege and gave her gift first...




(Their dress and skirt are available from Hilltop Rose Clothing CC!)

A miniature Pop! Funko figure! Our nearby FYE had a really good closing sale, so I nabbed two figures for cheap: a Tenth Doctor figure for myself, and a Hermione Granger for Winifred.




Next it was Bree's turn.




She gave Winifred a Gift 'Em! I think this line is such a cute idea, and they make a great collection for 18" dolls. 




I had one more Gift 'Em left in the stash, so I let Jane (my roommate's #39) do the honors!




This one was from Italy! Yes, you can get a better look at both dolls as the room tour resumes...




My roommate and I split the cost of Kit's desk, which was sold to us by another collector, so it's in Winifred's room for the month. The Gift 'Ems are on top. I bought the tiny tarot kit on Ebay, and though the cards are too big for Winifred to read with, the book is just the right size and I have the box sitting in her room for now, if only as decoration. The tiny BFF frame is from Michael's, I think, and was one of my birthday gifts from my roommate. 




My roommate also has Rebecca's sideboard, which Winifred is borrowing for the month. She's using it as a makeshift altar of sorts: her tarot deck and cloth generally sit on it, along with her crystals, some tiny jars of glitter (from Michael's) that my roommate bought me for my birthday (an essential spell ingredient for any vinyl witch, right?), Grace's Welcome Gifts flowers (bought on the secondary market), the Hermione figurine, and two cards from the Tiny Tarot deck. Like I said, they're too big for Winifred to read with, but I thought they were a nice little detail to have set out.




There are a few other things usually on the altar that are currently in use for a little display. The tarot book Youngji is holding comes with the tiny tarot set, and the three cards in the spread are from the mini tarot deck keychain (sitting on the altar, in the previous picture). Winifred is using the rest of her crystals with the reading, along with her cloth. (It's actually an extra piece I cut off the swath of fabric I use to lay out my readings! The cloth was a gift from a friend, originally intended to be turned into AG clothes. In a convoluted way, I guess this part of it, at least, is serving something surprisingly akin to its original purpose.)




(I bought Youngji's top from Silly Monkey Fashions, and Winifred's from WhoaItsMe.)

Here's another shot of the room, and of Winifred and Youngji's current display! They are, of course, both in red in honor of International Women's Day last Wednesday.




My next goal is to get some walls up. I have a rough idea of what to do, I just need to sit down and test it out. Once there are walls in place, I'll be able to hang out the two prints I put together a few weeks ago. They're copies of two cards from the Shadowscapes tarot deck, the Page of Cups (seen here) and the Page of Wands (seen in the next picture). 




I have the Shadowscapes deck, myself, and I've always thought that the artwork is absolutely incredible. The Page of Cups is the card I link with Winifred, and the Page of Wands with Youngji. Each suit in tarot traditionally corresponds to an element: the cups with water, the pentacles with earth, the swords with air, and the wands with fire. Pages are one of the court cards that can sometimes represent children or young people in tarot readings. Winifred's astrological sign is Pisces, which is a water sign, and Youngji's astrological sign is Aries, which is a fire sign. Therefore, Page of Cups (Keywords as per the Shadowscapes site: "Sentimental, romantic, sympathetic, understanding, intuition") for Winifred, and Page of Wands (Keywords as per the Shadowscapes site: "Creative, passionate, confident, assured and assertive. A messenger.") for Youngji!

Do you have a dollhouse, or doll display area? Do you have any questions about anything else featured in mine? (I tried to cover where I bought or found everything featured in it, but if there's something I wasn't specific about that you want to know more about, please ask!)

No comments:

Post a Comment